Saturday, July 15, 2017

July 15, 2017

After last week's torrential rains the garden is mostly doing well. A lot of bunnies have been hopping around and I think they are the ones to blame for the major damage done to my biggest calla lily leaves and the poor four o'clocks. The bulbs were washed right out of the ground - I just dumped a bunch of dirt on top of them, although the one calla in the corner is still exposed. I found 2 Japanese beetles in the dahlia flowers and gave them a soapy death. Something is eating the peas, but it's ok because I'm not really eating them. I've seen a few leafhoppers on the dahlias but the soapy stuff got rid of the aphids.

I sprayed again for rabbits and deer, since the heavy rains must have worn everything off before.

In the evening I put more mosquito bits in the pond, pulled a few weeds, and gathered a handful of raspberries. What are the big lumps that form in the calla lilies after the flowers turn green?

No comments:

Post a Comment