Monday, March 27, 2017

Slugs and Sweat are back

Before

 Before (at least, before today's work)

Yes, that block has been off most of the winter

I threw out the old Christmas tree, stripped off the old towels, and removed the squirrel feeder. I installed my new trellis. I'm going to start the four o'clocks from seed inside and another clematis root I bought (a cheap one this time!) because I don't think the one that's there is coming back. The towels were mostly to keep the birdseed out of the pot. I'll get the hummingbird feeder back up soon.

More four o'clocks will go here. Is the honeysuckle dead or not?

It doesn't look very alive, but I suppose it could be....

 Pulled away lots and lots of dead groundcover and leaves. I can't just rake them off because of the chicken wire so I'm doing it by hand. It doesn't look like it, but I have taken off a lot. And found a few slugs too, of course. Once I get more of the groundcover off I'll put down a good layer of sluggo. Once the bulbs have flowered and finished the morning glories and nasturtiums should be coming up.


These bulb sprouts are red. Interesting.

See? LOTS pulled off, plus all the old squirrel food - corn cobs and such. 

 The gnome was contributed by a neighbor. The cigarette butts were contributed by another neighbor, whom I will be having a talk with...


 Straightened the bricks, cleaned away some of the dead growth around the chives. Should I strip off the burlap from the roses or not? I have seeds for most of the pots but I'll be planting them directly so they come up through the wire so that will have to wait a while. I am going to start the calla lilies inside though.

 Same for the raspberries - they have buds! Should I strip their burlap off too?


I haven't done anything with the dahlia, zinnia, and osteospermum pots yet. I have zinnia seeds, ordered another dahlia in case those in the basement don't come back, and bought some more pots as one of my clay ones for zinnias cracked in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment